Why should kids have all the fun?!
Make it a date with your child/grandchild & explore the possibilities of clay while making a memorable keepsake together in our clay studio. You’ll have time to build your clay sculpture & paint it during your class session, after which our instructors will coat it in a clear glaze & fire it in our kilns.
Art supplies included. Projects will be ready for pick up at the gallery approximately four weeks after class. One registration is for a child and adult helper, to be together.
- Sept 10 – Creative Clay House: Design, build, and paint your own tiny cabin, castle, or fairy house in this session of Kids Clay. You’ll also have time to add details around your house or add a tiny character who could live inside.
- October 1st – Terrific Turkeys: Learn to make a colourful and detailed wild turkey using various sculpting methods! Kids will love adding details like colour and texture to their turkey’s large clay feathers.
- November 5th – Cupcake Keepsake Jar: Create a hollow pinch pot for the base of the cupcake and build your cupcake frosting using small clay coils. These cupcakes are made in two pieces with a hollow centre so you can store special items inside. These cupcakes are fun to make and look yummy enough to eat!
- December 3rd – Winter Polar Bear: Celebrate the chilly weather by sculpting a beautiful polar bear! Participants will learn how to pinch, roll, and sculpt clay to build their own bear and then have time to paint their creations too!
Each class our instructor will provide participants with a theme, help brainstorm ideas, and demonstrate how to create one small sculpture out of clay based on that theme. Participants are welcome to follow along with our instructor or imagine and build their own design. Our instructor will encourage participants to make sure clay sculptures are well built with no thin or fragile edges and can demonstrate how to properly attach different clay components together.
Once participants have built their projects, they can spend the remaining time painting them with colourful underglazes! Projects will be left at the Pottery Studio to dry and be fired in our electric kilns. They will also be dipped in a clear, durable glaze so they’ll last forever. You will be notified by email once projects are ready to be picked up at Art Gallery of St Albert. Normally this takes 3–4 weeks.
Don’t miss out on important class updates! We send important participant emails and updates directly through Eventbrite. Make sure Eventbrite emails are going to your Inbox – you will receive an email confirmation immediately after you register in a program. If you do not see the email confirmation, check your junk folder.
Health & Safety:
We strive to keep staff, volunteers, visitors and program participants safe in our programming spaces and we will continue to follow all provincial government regulations.
Our programs include the following safety protocols:
- All staff and instructors are fully vaccinated
- Those experiencing illness should not attend class (refunds/transfers available on a case by case basis)
- Individual supplies for each student
- Increased cleaning of high-touch surfaces
- Masking is encouraged
Please note, there may be an occasion where we are unable to safely offer regular classes consistently due to the unpredictability of COVID-19. This could result in classes being interrupted, canceled, or moved to online, depending on the program.
*Please note that a small Eventbrite fee is applied to all bookings.
Secure your spot early, and help ensure your class runs. Ticket sales for most programs close 7 days prior to the class, and refunds will be granted up to 7 days prior to the start of the class. View our community class cancellation and withdrawal policies.