- Learn what clay is and where it comes from; why it is bisque fired in a kiln; how to use clay and clay tools safely in a professional studio environment.
- Explore land based learning concepts and discuss how elephants help maintain forest and savanna ecosystems for other species.
- Discover the differences and similarities between the Asian and African elephants and discuss why the Asian elephant is now classified as endangered.
- Experiment with drawing, impressing, rolling, and coiling clay in order to create a realistic rendering of a low-relief elephant of your choice.
- Art: refining forms, creative process, expression and celebration, fine and gross motor skill development
- Social: Belonging and Connecting, Connecting with the World (India & Tunisia)
- Science: Shapes, Animals, Rocks & Minerals, Building Structures, Experimentation, Critical thinking, problem solving and decision making
Suggested field trips to pair with: